International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on April 4, 2010 5 a.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Handicapped dog flying

I would like to know if there are any dangers in flying my paralyzed dog. We are moving from Paris to Florida soon. He is just recently paralyzed and just had surgery for a herniated disc. Please, any advice is welcomed.

Originally posted by tracy from Edison, NJ, US
April 4, 2010 5 a.m.

Replies

Traveling with a Paralyzed Dog

Hi there,
I have a dog that has been paralyzed for 11 years and has traveled everywhere with me. She is getting old now, but still goes everywhere we go. We have traveled throughout the US and Canada, and are planning on taking her to Mexico. I have flown southwest and jetblue with her and never have had a problem. As far as being recently paralyzed, you might want to consult your veterinarian to get any pills for any discomfort or anxiety that the dog might face for first time flying. I typically carry dog bowls with food and fill up her water in the airline, and give her a little bit of kibble to munch on before take off (in case her ears begin to pop from the change in cabin pressure). Hope this helps you, or anyone else traveling with a small paralyzed pup. :) Good luck!

Posted by Paloma from Los Gatos, CA, US
February 20, 2015 8:51 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.