Key West Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Key West Forum on February 23, 2011 1:28 p.m.. If you can help with this question about Key West, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to Key West yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in Key West here.

Turns out Key West is somewhat dog-friendly

The day after I posted my rant about Key West not being dog-friendly, I dug a bit deeper and found out about the dog beach located at Vernon St. and Waddell Ave. It really is a dog beach and our puppy learned how to swim that day. While chatting with some local pet parents I learned of a couple of restaurants that will allow you to bring your pet in with you. I don't remember all the names. However, we went to one of them called the New York Pizza Cafe. Not only did they welcome dogs, they brought a doggy bowl of water to the table. Our puppy was completely laid back and didn't bark once. We had a great time and a fabulous meal. It was relaxing and wonderful to finally enjoy a terrific family dinner sitting outside on their deck. So, Key West is dog-friendly as long as you ask the locals where they go with their dogs.

Originally posted by Richard from Hillsborough, NJ, US
February 23, 2011 1:28 p.m.

Replies

We are Very Dog Friendly

I am a local and bring my dog everywhere. There are many restaurants in town that allow dogs. All outdoor, of course. We used to have more until as of late a visitor to our city put in a complaint, thus causing the city to enforce a expensive permit outdoor restaurants must pay in order to allow dogs onto the exterior of the property. We do have a wonderful dog park, in which I hope you found! Thank you for posting your positive thoughts and come back and see us!

Posted by Danni Becker from Key West, FL, US
March 1, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Dog Friendly Restaurants?

We've been going to KW for years and take our dogs everywhere. We were there the day Schooner's got fined and had to kick the dogs out, it was a sad day for sure. I understand the city got sued 'cause someone tripped over a dog at Turtle Crawls about 4 years ago, which prompted the new permit. That "expensive" permit is $100 for a year - and trust me, one or two meals will more that pay for that at most of the places down there. Does anyone know how to get a list for the restaurants that have gotten the permits? We have a bunch of favorites but prefer not to find out the hard way that they no longer allow dogs.

Posted by Denise from Boyds, MD, US
March 5, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Restaurants that do allow dogs

I was wondering about restaurants for our next KW trip, so I emailed the lady who does licensing for Key West. She sent me back this list of restaurants that have the license to allow dogs:

COWBOY BILLS HONKY TONK SALOON PP 618 DUVAL ST FR
WILLIE T'S (DOG) AC 525 DUVAL ST 1/2
DANTE'S KEY WEST (DOG) AC 955 CAROLINE ST
HOG'S BREATH SALOON (DOG) AC 400 FRONT ST
B.O.'S FISH WAGON INC (DOG) AC 801 CAROLINE ST
HARPOON HARRY'S (DOG) AC 832 CAROLINE ST
KARR BREIZ INC (DOG) AC 300 PETRONIA ST 01
SARABETH'S (DOG) AC 528 SIMONTON ST 530
SCHOONER WHARF BAR (DOG) AC 202 WILLIAM ST R
PEPE'S CAFE INC (DOG) AC 806 CAROLINE ST

Posted by Maryellen from Mims, FL
June 28, 2011 10:39 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.