Grass Valley Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Grass Valley Forum on June 16, 2011 10:35 p.m.. If you can help with this question about Grass Valley, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to Grass Valley yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in Grass Valley here.

This is NOT a dog friendly town : (

Coming from a big city, I am surprised and disappointed to find that Grass Valley is NOT a dog friendly town. With all the large open spaces that a city dweller can only dream of, there is not a dog park or doggie daycare to be found. I was just yelled at by a city worker when I was playing with my dog off-leash at a hay field (respectfully, I was not even at a manicured field or ball field). Taking a pet to a boarding place here is like locking him up at the pound. How can one go on vacationing and sleep well at night while one's dog is locked in a jail-like place. More than once here, I heard people say that "you never know what dogs can do when they get near each other or people." Perhaps it is a culture of fear in a lawsuit happy "state" of affairs. City staff and boarding places have much to learn from more progressive areas of the country.

Check out places like these on the website by searching:
New York - The Wagging Tail, doggie daycare
Denver - The Doghouse Rules, doggie daycare photos
Denver - Earth Dog, dog day care
Phoenix area dog parks (photo gallery)
There is a large untapped market niche that dog lovers are hoping to find in Grass Valley.

Grass Valley can be a premier destination if it develops a more dog-friendly attitude. Dog parks enhance community, encourage healthy lifestyles, and improve quality of life. Many people do not have the luxury of a yard where they live and people traveling with pets enjoy a stop where they can stretch and play a good game of fetch with their dogs. Grass Valley has beautiful scenery, the arts, good food...why not top it off with a dog friendly (dare, I say dog-loving) attitude with what the town can offer.

Originally posted by Jessica from New York, NY, US
June 16, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Replies

Plenty of dog friendly venues

Melissa, you must have missed the turn off to Grass Valley. There are 5 restaurants in Grass Valley that will allow you bring your dog. The state park allows dog everywhere. The new dog park is a big hit with everyone and you can always take your dog for a stroll on Main Street. Sorry you did not do a better search when you were here. You missed all the dog-fun!

Posted by Gerry from Grass Valley
April 28, 2013 9:13 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.