Flying With Dogs Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Flying With Dogs Forum on October 19, 2011 6:38 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Flying With Dogs, please post a reply.

Is it really dangerous for pets to fly cargo?

I've been reading all of the reviews on the airline listings on this site, and it seems like for every airline there are people who loved their experience and people who hated it. I'm not talking about those who hated the price, or the fact that someone told them their dog was too big to fly in the cabin. It's the people who said their dogs or cats FROZE to death on flights! I need to fly cross-country in January with my dog who is too big for the cabin. I need advice. Do you all think that there have been freak accidents and that my dog will most likely be fine, or do you think it's just too dangerous? I don't want to put my dog at risk... I'd appreciate anyone's input! thanks

Originally posted by Cecilia from New York, NY, US
October 19, 2011 6:38 a.m.

Replies

Pets in cargo ok

I understand your concern. There are always those freak incidents. But considering that airlines accept pets as cargo, and fly them most every day of the year, I feel your pet is not in danger. I flew my 50lb German Shepherd from Central America to DC last Fall--she was fine. I would be very cautious about hot summer temperatures. Most airlines will not fly pets in extreme high or low temps--check the forecast at all your airport stops to be sure. Good luck!

Posted by Liz from Santa Fe, NM, US
October 26, 2011 7:31 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.