Dog Behavior & Training Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Dog Behavior & Training Forum on September 13, 2012 8:49 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Dog Behavior & Training, please post a reply.

Barking issues

I have a German Shepherd/Beagle Mix. She is an excellent dog and does very well in the house by herself when we are at work and is very sweet and friendly. However, I have been having a very difficult time with her barking. When we are outside on a walk or in the backyard if she sees or hears a stranger come outside or if someone is walking by she barks and will not respond to me. She also does this in the car if she sees someone even if they are more than 600 ft away. I cannot tell if she is barking out of fear or just protecting me. I take her to the dog park alot and she is very socialized with people and other dogs. How do I assure her that strangers are not a threat? Also, when she does bark at people I notice her hair on her back stands up which many people take as a sign of aggression and tend to keep away. She is such a sweetie and I need to see strangers as non threatening if they are not on her property. Any help would be appreciated!

Originally posted by Jena from Royal Oak, MI, US
September 13, 2012 8:49 a.m.

Replies

What to Do for Wrong Behaviour of Dogs

The problem you are telling about your she dog is really to worry about as it is not clear to you also that what exactly is the problem with her, so you must consult a good trainer about it as he could help you regarding this because they are experienced to know the behaviour of the pets and the reason behind that.

Posted by Ackerley from Farmington, NY, US
November 7, 2012 2:35 a.m.

Barking Issues

Barking can be territorial, dominant, or rooted from frustration. Many times with the bigger breeds, they need more exercise than we provide them with. 40-60 minutes a day is the appropriate amount. If the hair on his back is standing, it could be a dominant bark, in which case the dog needs more discipline, boundaries and limitations from you. Also make sure the dog views you as the leader. If he is pulling ahead of you, jumping on you, or entering doorways first, he is the leader and he views you as the follower. This could cause aggressive behaviors in the future.

Ceasar Milan is a very effective canine behavorist with a vast knowledge in dog psychology. He is a great reference if you want to know more.

Posted by Heesun Andes from New York, NY, US
April 23, 2013 5:36 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.