International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on January 4, 2013 11:40 p.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Traveling through (but not into) EU with dogs as checked baggage

I'll be traveling from Jordan to the Western US in a few months with two salukis as checked baggage. Regulations to bring them to the US are relatively easy, but many flights out of Amman travel through the EU and I haven't found any information on traveling through the EU, but not as a final destination. Has anyone had experience traveling through an EU country only as a layover? What are the paperwork requirements?

The other option is a flight directly to the East Coast of the US with a layover most likely in either Chicago, JFK, or Detroit. These are 11-13 hour flights, which worry me. Anyone else had experience taking dogs as baggage on flights that long?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Krystal from Amman, JO
January 4, 2013 11:40 p.m.

Replies

Response

For anyone else out there who might deal with this, the information I've gotten from the people in charge at Frankfurt airport assure me that if we fly Lufthansa the whole way (no airline change, no code shares) our dogs will be kept in a special transit quarantine and do not need to meet EU regulations. If we change airlines, meaning we would have to collect the dogs and check them back in I assume, then the dogs would need to meet EU regulations. I have heard the rules can be different in practice from airport to airport, so best to check with the intended layover airport first before booking.

Posted by Krystal from Amman, JO
February 6, 2013 11:59 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.