International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on January 31, 2014 6:27 a.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Most dogfriendly European Country(ies)

Hello!
Living in Sweden I'm used to the fact that dogs basically aren't welcome anywhere. Today someone told me about the Fido site and also mentioned that, according to him, France is the most dog friendly country in Europe - would you agree to that or do you have other suggestions? Boarding isn't the big problem, you can find yourself a dogfriendly hotel. But what about going out for dinner and not wanting to leave the dog alone in a strange environment? What are the laws, rules and regulations about taking your dog to restaurants in European countries?
Best regards,
Charlotta

Originally posted by Charlotta from Stockholm, SE
January 31, 2014 6:27 a.m.

Replies

Travelling in Europe with a dog

Germany's the most dog friendly country in Europe. By miles! Dogs can go into most cafes, restaurants and bars without anyone seeming bothered. Spain is difficult because they aren't allowed on public transport, but some bars will allow them in. Poland is a nightmare - they're not even allowed into national parks. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are also difficult. Scotland's not great, but national park areas of England (eg. the Lake District) are pretty good.

A bit of shameless self promotion here....but we took our dog on a tour of 13 European countries, so I've tested the dog friendliness of a lot of places! And now you can read the book.....see www.borderlesscollie.com. It's a wagging tails an' all story of one dog's grown up gap year in Europe. Plus half the cover price goes to the Dogs Trust (a UK dog rescue charity). Just thought I'd mention it!

Posted by Tamsin from Aberdeenshire, GB
January 31, 2014 7:11 a.m.

dog friendly scotland

I have to disagree with tamsin, we travel all over Scotland and have stayed in many hotels, cottages etc that more than welcome our dog.
If you check them out before booking many let them use the lounge etc and plenty places to dine with them
From the Doggy cafe at loch lomond, Old Mill killearn and the Cross Keys kippen could not make the dog more welcome while we have great food.
Glasgow city itself has many great dog friendly pubs and restaurants with the Stravaigan in the west end is a particular fav .

West coast beaches all do friendly with miles of sand to run along

All parks are dog friendly

all they ask in Glasgow is you clean up doggie poop

Edinburgh City does not accommodate dogs quite as much as we have gave up taking him there (unless someone else knows otherwise(

Posted by outandabot from Glasgow, GB
October 19, 2014 9:38 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.