United States Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the United States Forum on July 29, 2014 9:37 a.m.. If you can help with this question about United States, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to United States yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in United States here.

Dog Friendly doesn't really mean Dog Friendly!

I've been looking for hotels that allow dogs. Many of the hotel websites including this website state they are dog friendly hotels, but when you read the fine print you see a weight limit. This is not dog friendly!

How does the weight of the dog have anything to do with how well the dog is behaved? In my opinion some of the most horrible behaved dogs are the small ones that yap yap yap all day long. While my 79lb dog rarely barks or causes any issues and is as sweet a candy.

Dog discrimination! I don't think a hotel should be able to state they are dog friendly if they put restrictions on what dogs they will allow. Is this not dog discrimination?

Originally posted by Dog Discrimination from Portland, OR, US
July 29, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Replies

AGREE

I totally agree. Most of your service dogs are labs, retrievers, and other large breeds. The size of a dog does not in any way determine their manners or behavior.

Posted by Sarah from Marlton, NJ, US
July 31, 2014 6:42 a.m.

Logical Reason

With all due respect, I have two small dogs that DO NOT "yap yap yap all day". When we stay at hotels, they do not even make a sound. Funny, the dogs that bark all day in my neighborhood are the large dogs. You do not appreciate the hotels discriminating, so please do not discriminate as well! In fairness, size does not determine a dog's behavior. There are misbehaved small dogs as well as large dogs too.

Misbehaved larger dogs can cause considerably more damage to a hotel room than a smaller dog. That would be a logical reason. Another, other hotel guests are more likely to be uncomfortable with larger vs. smaller dogs. Hotel's goal is to make ALL guests comfortable and happy.

Posted by Renee from Chicago, IL, US
August 1, 2014 7:53 a.m.

Dog

Very well said. I too have a small dog who is very well trained. We have been strict with her because I refuse to have a happy dog filled with anxiety.. Heck she even does agility! Now that's some training there!

Have you asked the hotel you want to stay at why they won't allow it?

Posted by Roni from DC
May 5, 2015 9:21 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.