International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on January 23, 2015 11:38 p.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Airline never fed dogs during 21 hour flight

I recently flew to South Africa with my 2 dogs. BEWARE WHEN YOU ARE FLYING TO SOUTH AFRICA!!!

I had all types of trouble with cargo and customs They all try to trick you into giving them a few bucks for help. The people abuse what little authority they have through their positions.

Anyways...

When I picked up my dogs I noticed that they had not been fed. Delta Airlines requires that a bag of dog food must be taped on top of the dog carrier. MY DOG'S BAG OF FOOD WAS NEVER OPENED. THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE THAT THE TAPE HAD EVEN BEEN TOUCHED.

I come to this forum to request the community's advice on how I should approach this issue. Luckily my dogs are ok, but it's completely wrong that they would not feed the dogs during the flight. ON TOP of that they charged $1150 per dog for 1 way,(1 weighs 25 lbs and the other weighs 35 lbs in 24 inch height intermediate size carriers.)

I hope to get some advice from people. Things like this should never happen to an animal. The pets are already under so much stress from the flight, to not feed them, not even 1 time is totally wrong.

Originally posted by Tim from Chicago, IL, US
January 23, 2015 11:38 p.m.

Replies

US to South Africa with DELTA - Dogs not fed during 21h flight

Hi Tim,

I read this with great interest, because I am preparing my 2 dogs to be transported from TNR to the US via JNB, also with DELTA.

My questions:
1) Is this the price for manifest cargo from US to JNB?
2) Is manifest cargo obligatory - checked baggage not possible?
3) Did you use an agreed pet travel agent in SA?

In some countries - especially Africa and Latin America - administrative staff often considers a "gift" as normal, unfortunately.

Although it will cost me a fortune, I intend to have a pet travel agent handle customs and transfer of my pets from one plane to another in JNB. These agents - like the transport agencies specialized in customs handling of goods - know the procedures and the "requirements" of the staff and how to handle it. I guess certain "fees" are already included in the quotation to ensure smooth handling...

The administrative staff may know about the transport prices for pets and think that if someone spends so much money for their pets, they may also have enough money to pay them a little "gift"...

Posted by Elfi from Mahajanga
February 20, 2015 2:55 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.