Dog Behavior & Training Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Dog Behavior & Training Forum on September 25, 2015 10:12 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Dog Behavior & Training, please post a reply.

My dog hates bicycles

We recently adopted a second dog Cooper (3 yr old) as a companion for our first Phoebe (3 yr old). He's a really great dog, and he's made fast friends with our girl already. He's also a sweetheart to all people he has met and also all dogs he has met so far at our nearby dog park.
We live in an apartment in a very bike heavy city, and so taking our dogs to the park or to any grassy spot nearby to potty requires interaction with many bicycles. When we took Cooper home it was immediately obvious that bikes were a problem for him. He howls at them in the car, and lunges at them on a leash. If he can see one 200 yards away, he'll be whining and howling at it. We immediately inquired about in home professional help and unfortunately could not get a consultation until a week away, currently three days away.
In the meantime we have to take him out but his behavior towards bicycles is scaring nearby people and making my shoulder very sore. I was wondering if anyone reading this might have so pointers as to, until the trainer arrives, not to make him like bikes, but at least to make walks a bit more enjoyable. Treats have been no help, even high value treats like deli meats and chicken. If you have any incites or advice in terms of gear that would work or anything else we would surely appreciate it.

Originally posted by Sam from Columbus, OH, US
September 25, 2015 10:12 a.m.

Replies

No discussion yet, be the first to reply!
This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.