International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on April 16, 2016 8:49 p.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Having a third party (my aunt) send my dog from Tucson AZ to Berlin. Help?

I am moving to Germany, and having my dog sent about a month after I leave so I have time to find a place to live and get settled and everything...
I've looked into international pet relocation services but they are all so expensive! The last one I looked at had a base rate of $845 and that doesn't even include the airfare! So I have to figure it out on my own...

Has anyone shipped a pet to Germany before that has any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do or how to book a flight for just a dog without a person accompanying him/her (Expedia doesn't have that option haha). I was hoping to get my dog on his way to Europe in early June...help?

Originally posted by Diana from Los Angeles, CA, US
April 16, 2016 8:49 p.m.

Replies

TRAVEL TO GERMANY

Hello, I work in a veterinary hospital and help clients travel with their dogs all the time. Google APHIS. Look for the Export Pet section. Pick Germany off the list and it will tell you what is required. You need to contact the air carrier to find out if there are any special requirements specific to the airline. You need to have an accredited veterinarian examine your dog and fill out an APHIS 7001 lnternational health certificate that needs to be certified by the local USDA office in AZ. Without looking it up I believe Germany is a member of the European Union and as such will require that your dog is microchipped and up to date on Rabies. If your dog is not chipped he needs to be chipped PRIOR to receiving the rabies vax. Exam must take place 10 days prior to travel. All this info is on the APHIS web site.

Posted by Donna M from Hartford, CT
April 20, 2016 3:12 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.