If you’re searching for a furry friend to take along on a winter hike, cross-country ski trip or other pet-friendly winter activity, you don’t want a dog who shivers at the sight of snow flakes. These dog breeds are passionate about the powder, built for winter sports, and would love to join you for a romp through the snow.
Canine Characteristics for Cold-Weather Fun
Most athletic dogs over 35 pounds can pull a human over short distances in wintry conditions, but certain pups are built for the snow. Bred to help humans survive in harsh weather, dogs with these traits also excel in winter sports:
- A thick winter coat or double coat to withstand freezing temperatures.
- Strength to pull weight through the snow.
- Stamina to go for long distances.
- Intelligence to follow instructions and to help find trails in snowy conditions.
- A good temperament to keep going even when the going gets tough.
These sturdy, sporty dog breeds are ideal companions for your next cold-weather adventure.