As the weather heats up, so do backyard barbecues all over the world. At your next cookout, prepare this easy recipe designed especially for man’s best friend. Our “Cheeseburger is ‘Pawradise’” is a burger for dogs that’s loaded with nutritious pooch-friendly toppings. Pair it with pup-approved sides (Irish Setter Nachos, anyone?) and an ice-cold dog beer for the “ultimutt” summer feast for Fido.
Cheeseburger Is "Pawradise” Hamburger for Dogs
Your dog will be in hound heaven when you make this simple and healthy recipe for a grilled hamburger topped with spinach, strawberries (cut to look like tomatoes), cucumbers (instead of pickles) and Fido’s favorite cheese, all nestled between an easy-to-digest bun made out of brown rice. Fight the temptation to add any salt or seasonings; the natural flavors of the meat cooked to medium temperature and the crunchy sweetness of the fruits and veggies are what your dog thinks is delicious.
Makes two cheeseburgers.
- ½ Pound Lean Ground Beef, Turkey or Chicken
- 3 Strawberries, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Spinach
- ¼ Cucumber, Sliced
- 2 Brown Rice Buns (recipe below)
- Divide the meat into 2 portions. Using your hands, roll each portion into a tight ball.
- Flatten the ball until you’ve created a uniform, 1-inch-thick patty. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the top of each patty.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. If you don’t have a grill, heat a pan or cast-iron skillet on the stove.
- Place the patties on the grill, indentation-side up, until marked on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until marked and slightly firm, about 3 more minutes for medium doneness.
- For cheeseburgers, top with 2 slices of cheese during the last minute of cooking; cover the grill to melt.
- Assemble burgers, starting off with one of the brown rice buns. Top with the burger patty and spinach. Place round strawberry and cucumber slices on top and cover with the top bun.
- Serve on a pet-safe plate or in a dog bowl and let Fido dig in!
Brown Rice Buns
Make healthy “buns” for your dog by compressing cooked brown rice into muffin cups or ramekins.
Makes two sets of rice buns.
- 4-5 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or non-stick spray)
- 2-3 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Generously oil muffin tins with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide 2 cups cooked rice into 4 muffin tins. Use a spoon to compress rice. Cover with parchment paper, wax paper or plastic wrap, and press down on each muffin cup.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.