International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on December 26, 2009 1:55 a.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Relocating pet to Nairobi

Hi Anna. We moved to Nairobi from Denver 1 1/2 years ago and brought our Portuguese Water Dog with us. My research turned up exactly what you have described. I thought I could bring my dog on the plane with me as accompanied luggage, but no deal. I ended up using a pet forwarding company which was actually very helpful, except that the total cost was about $2500. Use a local pet shipper to help you with the details on that end. It is also helpful to have someone on the ground in Nairobi do advance work for you. My husband was here and went to the airport 3 times to make sure that the process went smoothly when Clover arrived. Even with that, it took 2 hours to get her released. Luckily, I was able to be with her and take her out of the crate, give her water, etc. while he finished the paperwork. You will probably have to go back and forth to multiple offices (making multiple "payments") to get her released. I think we spent about 5000 ksh ($75) on this. But, the good news is that she made the journey just fine. Do NOT count on Nairobi airport staff to care for your dog. Clover came in with another dog and cat whose owners did not meet the plane. Those animals were put in a dark building and left totally alone, in their crates, without any food, water, or care, presumably until their owners came to get them the next day. Also, even though its expensive to get your dog here, it will probably be cheaper when you leave. We are relocating back to Denver now and have just been informed that the only way Clover can go out is as accompanied luggage, which will cost about $400. Have fun in Nairobi. It's a great place to live.

Posted by Michelle from Nairobi, KE
December 26, 2009 1:55 a.m.

Replies

We made it!

Thanks for your input. In the end, we actually decided to fly into Kilimanjaro Int'l in Tanzania. I was able to take our lab as excess baggage for $100 or somewhere thereabouts. My husband hired a car to drive down from Nairobi and pick us up. While getting the visa was an additional cost, we have family in Tanzania and since it's multiple entry we'll make good use of it. It was a bit of hassle, but saved us a lot of money. Enjoying Nairobi and so is our dog! Thanks again!!

Posted by Anna from Portland
May 6, 2010 12:19 a.m.

Relocating pets

We are in the process of moving back to Cape Town S.A. and is in desperate need of a reputable animal travel agencies here in Nairobi. Pls help. Many thanks

Posted by Merle Taylor from Nairobi, KE
September 7, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Can you help with moving our dogs to Kenya

When you arrived in Tanzania what paperwork was did you need and When you drove your dog from Tanzania to Kenya across the Arusha boarder what was the paper work you needed.

Posted by Teresa from San Diego, CA, US
March 27, 2011 9:47 a.m.

What is the best way to handle taking our dog to Nairobi, Kenya

If any one has traveled to Nairobi with their pets lately, I would love to hear from you on how this can be done. Hopefully without paying an arm and a leg.

Posted by Rose from Reno, NV, US
April 15, 2011 2:28 p.m.

What is the best way to handle taking our dog to Nairobi, Kenya

If any one has traveled to Nairobi with their pets lately, I would love to hear from you on how this can be done. Hopefully without paying an arm and a leg.

Posted by Rose from Reno, NV, US
April 15, 2011 2:28 p.m.

good advice

Hi Anna,

I read your '09 post about moving a dog to Kenya, and like your idea of flying into Kili Int'l airport and then driving down to pick up the pet. I MIGHT (still not a cert) move to Kenya this year and have a dog and cat that I would want to take with me. What paperwork did you need between Tanzania and Kenya?

Karin

Posted by Karin from Rockville, MD, US
January 16, 2012 5:38 a.m.

Moving my cat to Kenya

Karin:

I saw your post tonight. I am going to Kenya sometime in May or June. I'd be interested in finding out what you learn on the process of moving your animals over there. Googling the Kenyan embassy in South Africa will help. It is far more comprehensive than anything I've seen on the DC site.

Posted by David from Blacksburg, VA, US
January 16, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Moving with 2 35lbs dogs to Kenya end of July

Please let ,me know what is the best way to bring my dogs with me, veterinary/legal procedures!
Thank you a million times!

Posted by Elise from New York, NY, US
June 4, 2012 6:12 a.m.

Moving from Portland to Niarobi with dog

Hi Anna!
I know your post was from 09, but if you still access this website, and read my post - I would love to connect and ask you some advice on moving my pet over. I'm having a lot of problems flying to Kenya with my dog. I now am thinking about flying to Tanzania like you suggested and finding a driver or driving myself to Nairobi. I would love to ask you some more questions if you wouldn't mind! My email is rebeccakennel@gmail.com

Thank you!! I move April 15th 13

Posted by Mia from portland oregon
March 24, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Flying to Nairobi dec 2013 with jack Russell

Hey guys,

I see many of you have inquired and you might have made the move. Any advise?
Thanks a million!

Posted by SImon from Toronto, ON, CA
October 5, 2013 4:30 a.m.

Relocating to Nairobi with 2 dogs - help!

Any good advice getting my two dogs, a Border Collie, and a Great Dane to Kenya Nairobi?

They are up to date with vaccines and is micro chipped.

What pet travel agency to use?
Or do it myself?

Any advice is so welcome ! thank you!

Posted by Martha from Raleigh, NC, US
January 29, 2014 10:57 a.m.

US to Tanzania to Kenya

I am also moving to Kenya with a cat and I am also interested in flying into Arusha and then crossing the border into Kenya. Has anyone done this that can share what paperwork they needed and what sort of issues, if any, came up at the border into Kenya?

Posted by Jennifer from Huntsville, AL, US
March 30, 2014 9:23 p.m.

Flying from Kenya to NC with cats

My question is about taking my pets OUT OF Kenya. My husband and I will be leaving Kenya permanently in March, flying back home to the United States. We want our two cats with us in-cabin for the entire trip.
I have already done my research about what is required for export from Kenya, import to the US, individual airline requirements for in-cabin carriers, and all the paperwork needed. But there is one question I can't seem to get a definite answer on:
When we fly out of Nairobi, will our cats be allowed in-cabin with us? All the other legs of the trip are ok for cats on-board, except for the flight out of Kenya.
The Brussels airlines website states that all pets INTO OR OUT OF Kenya must travel as cargo, yet a Brussels Air reservations agent told me pets ARE allowed in-cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya. When I pointed out what her website said, she said, "Oh well then, they probably aren't allowed." (Helpful, no?)
The Swiss Air website says pets can travel in cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya, yet a Swiss Air reservations agent told me they are not allowed in-cabin.
I really don't know what to do about this, so I am hoping someone out there has actually flown out of Kenya with their pet in-cabin.

Posted by Jody from Durham, NC, US
December 14, 2014 3:34 a.m.

Crossing from Tanzania to Kenya

Similar questions, has anyone crossed from Tanzania into Kenya with a pet? We want to fly our dog in cabin with us from the US to Tanzania and then cross over into Kenya. Nervous about what happens at the Kenyan border. Anyone?

Posted by Tiffiny from Springfield, MO, US
July 20, 2015 6:48 p.m.

Traveling dog from the US via Tanzania into Kenya

I saw a lot of queries on how to travel a pet via Tanzania to Kenya. Can anyone share how this is done, i.e., documents, etc. How long does it take to secure an import permit/export permit from the Government of Tanzania? Thanks!

Posted by Clarissa from USA
May 5, 2016 3:52 p.m.

Dog on holiday to Kenya, Nairobi

Hi, can anyone recommend a company that can assist with getting a dog to Kenya?

Posted by Emma from Durban, South Africa
July 1, 2016 8:40 a.m.

Relocating dog to Nairobi

Hi everyone,

We are also moving to Nairobi this fall with our dog. We really want to be able to travel with her in cabin. Did anyone manage to fly to Tanzania and cross the border from there? Were there any problems doing this?

Very grateful for any experience you can share! Thank you!!

Posted by Sofia from Stockholm, SE
August 8, 2016 8:29 a.m.

Pet travel to kenya with ease

I have read the stories and experiences that most of the guys here have had and sad to say that I have experienced a couple of the scenarios.

One can try 'Priority Pets Africa'

Posted by Vivian from Nairobi, KE
September 26, 2016 9:42 a.m.

Pet travel with ease

I have had the opportunity to see and work as a team member with Priority Pets Africa for a while and their pet service for anyone bringing or moving their pets is truly exceptional. They cater for your pets needs in more ways than one and ensure that their travel is as stress free as possible. :) "GO PRIORITY PETS AFRICA" :)

Posted by Vivian from Nairobi, KE
September 27, 2016 2:16 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.