South America Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the South America Forum on September 1, 2011 4:34 p.m.. If you can help with this question about South America, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to Central & South America yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in Central & South America here.

Service dog travel accepted?

I am traveling with my service dog from Hawaii to Quito, Ecuador. She will be with me the whole 19 hour journey. The next day we take a flight from Quito to Loja on Tame Airlines and they are saying I can not take my dog on the plane, that she needs to go in baggage. Help What can I do, present, say so that she stays with me. How can I find out about the laws for service dog in Ecuador?

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by Kalei Engle from Los Angeles, CA, US
September 1, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Replies

Owner of Service Dog

You've may already been to Ecuador by this posting. If so, let me know what your experience has been, since I will be going with my service dog this summer. But if you haven't please see below of what I've found so far.

This site will be helpful. However, trying to contact Gary Scott will be difficult, not impossible. www.ecuadorliving.com/2011/05/21/ecuador-esas.html

He mentions contacting Sandy Basquero her email is Sandy.Baquero@gmail.com if it is current. I've attempted to contact her a couple days ago. I am also planning to go to Ecuador with my hearing service dog this summer. I will be prudent to plan ahead and let all parties know you are bringing a service dog and get permission for their courtesy of allowing your dog to be with you at all times. This not only includes airline, but lodging, restaurants, and all indoor public places. This is because Ecuador does not have the same laws as the US. This is what I've gathered from the article. Also find out about the immunization/vaccinations that are required. Sandy may be able to help you with this, for I found another blog with this information, however, it seems more specific to dogs who will travel like cargo. I am not sure what the difference will be for service dog who will be at your feet in the plane.

Posted by Amy from Bellingham, WA, US
January 24, 2012 4:26 a.m.

Service Dog Owner

You can contact me via email to handy.amy2@gmail.com.

Posted by Amy from Bellingham, WA, US
January 24, 2012 4:27 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.