International Pet Travel Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the International Pet Travel Forum on May 26, 2014 4:54 a.m.. If you can help with this question about International Pet Travel, please post a reply.

Travelling with my dog to Germany/Italy from the US by air

I would like to take my 20 pound Cockapoo with me to Italy for July-August 2014 and he would need to travel in cargo. I spoke with United who said that Italy required that dogs travel with an IATA commercial shipper. I thus booked us on a direct flight in and out of Munich. I was able to make a reservation with United for the dog into Munich but then was advised that the US required that incoming dogs be handled by a commercial shipper except for military. I know many people who have travelled with their pets in cargo back and forth from Europe and so am confused about this US requirement. Would greatly appreciate any insights!

Originally posted by Jennifer from Washington, DC, US
May 26, 2014 4:54 a.m.

Replies

USA-Europe, a frequent flyer dog

Hi,
I fly USA-Germany at least once a year with my 9-year-old Vizsla (XL kennel). We have flown Lufthansa from Germany to Portland and Air Berlin to Miami or New York (and vice versa) very often. Both airlines are great with dogs. They allow you to check in your dog at the baggage counter really last minute, to make the waiting time short for your dog. Once you on board, a flight attends comes and brings you a little slip of paper from the captain with a note, that your dog is on board. KLM does the same.
My dog has a European Vet Passport (blue) where all his vaccinations are listed and stamped. Never any problems with customs, since the Rabies shot is always up to date.
Flying within the US is much more complicated. United, with their policy of having to drop off the dog at the cargo service is such a mess. First, none of the employees at the check in counter knows where their own cargo area is, neither do the employees at arrival. When I arrive in the US or in Europe, flying Lufthansa or Air Berlin, my dog has usually been brought to the luggage pick up before my suitcases are there. I take a porter who brings me and my dog with kennel to the car rental place and off we go.
Not with United! A nightmare. Ever tried to find the SFO cargo at 10 pm to pick up your dog? United makes the flight time (and time in kennel) at least two hours longer than the European airlines, which handle, at least the ones I know, the dogs much better. Not to mention the cost. Air Berlin flies your dog two ways to Europe and back for about the same price as United charges one-way coast to coast.
And a new problem occurred with United: usually we have a water bottle (the one you buy in pet stores) fastened outside the kennel so my dog has water any time he wants. Now, United does not allow this anymore. We had to take the water bottle off, they filled ice cubes into his bowl. Who guarantees that those cubes will not fall out when we go up in the air and the plane has a strong slopping position?
Question: does anybody know an US airline that does the check in for a dog at the checking counter, brings the dog to the luggage area and allows the water bottles?

Posted by Asterix from San Francisco, CA, US
January 30, 2015 9:34 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.