Flying With Dogs Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Flying With Dogs Forum on September 21, 2014 2:43 p.m.. If you can help with this question about Flying With Dogs, please post a reply.

Moving to Hawaii

I am moving to Hawaii next summer with my husband and our four dogs. I have recently discovered that my pittys are considered snub nosed and at risk for respiratory distress during flights. I am looking in to Dog Travel Co. Inc. They apparently arrange travel where you can fly with your dog right next to you. I am fully aware of the restrictions involved with Hawaii Dept of Ag. My concern is getting them there safely! I am now certain I cannot safely stow them in cargo...the snub nose aspect AND horror stories from other dog owners just tells me don't do it. My question: HAS ANYONE USED DOG TRAVEL CO., INC? And what did you think of them?

Originally posted by susan from Evergreen, CO, US
September 21, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Replies

M

Your pitty's will likely be fine under the plane. My friends two pugs made it safely from Florida to Hawaii. I have known many pit mixes that have traveled safely under the plane. My four Chihuahuas and cat all made it safely and were just happy to see me when we arrived in Hawaii. If you can route them through northern airports where the temperature is cooler during the warm months. A lot of airlines won't ship them from mid May to August. The important part with the department of Agriculture quarantine process is to plan ahead and make sure to do every step on their checklist. If you take the checklist to your vet they can help to make sure everything is documented properly. Once you think you are good to go, call the quarantine office to verify they have received everything that they need so your dogs can be released to you at the airport. Safe Travels!

Posted by Jess from Honolulu, HI, US
April 14, 2015 2:37 p.m.

Response

what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation?

Posted by Kay from Dallas, TX, US
April 14, 2016 12:36 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.