United States Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the United States Forum on May 16, 2015 9:50 a.m.. If you can help with this question about United States, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to United States yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in United States here.

Desparately need advice on increased business travel w/dog

Hi, everyone.

I received a very generous job offer yesterday. I am switching industries from engineering to consulting. I am a single woman with a dog who is my best friend.

I thought about all of the M-Th travel that would be a normal part of my job, and I am devastated about the advice I've read online about dogs and consulting don't go together.

I don't have anyone I live with to take care of him while I'm working at a customer site. Does anyone have experience w/traveling regularly w/a dog and staying in hotels?

Declining the offer isn't an option for me, and I re-homing him is the absolute last resort. Advice is appreciated.

Originally posted by Crystal from Austin, TX, US
May 16, 2015 9:50 a.m.

Replies

Away from home options

Do you have to stay in a hotel, would something like an Airbnb be possible, that way leaving them may be a little easier than in a room where cleaning service can't enter, normally can't leave them alone, etc. Sometimes these can be less expensive than hotels. (I don't know if you are able to drive rather easily vs flying to the consulting job each week, if so that does make it easier overall if the dog's not small.) You could possibly work something out with a person for consistent business/repeat weekday stays, they swing you a deal if the place is always still available for weekends or something. You could look into dog daycare places in the consulting area that have extended hours. Even if they may not be super great with other dogs, some places will let them stay in a large run on their own and not play with a pack and still give them attention, time outside, etc. I've seen some decent reviews for DogVacay/their rating system as well - you could look into someone to take the dog each day while you are working, and then you get them when your consulting day is over, then repeat for Tu, Wed, etc. Some are not expensive and if there are no overnights or feeding, that could be a way to get people-attention and less stress of a daycare. I have a 120+ commute each day and have 2 dogs. I'm able to bring one (they alternate) to work a couple days a week and that helps out enormously, but it's tough. It's made my next job requirement either going to be closer or also dog friendly.

Posted by GF from Charlotte, NC, US
May 19, 2015 12:55 p.m.

Got my esa doctor letter

Thanks! Just got my emotional support doctors letter in the mail. We are going on a trip in June and we are able to take our Daisy with us. I get such anxiety when I fly, but I am hoping Daisy will be able to calm me down. Looking forward to taking selfies on the beach with my husband and dog.

Posted by Ellie from New York, NY, US
May 22, 2015 3:39 p.m.

Can I have 2 emotional support dogs?

Hi, I have 2 small dogs that I have for emotional support. Will airlines accept 2 emotional support dogs?

Posted by Caroline from California, MD, US
June 1, 2015 6:37 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.