Cats and dogs can travel from the United States to Italy as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Your pet must be over three months old.
- Be sure to get a Health Certificate. This can be obtained from your local veterinarian. Make sure it states your (the owner) Information, the type of pet, and all identification information and vaccinations.
- A valid rabies vaccine. If the rabies vaccination was the animal's first vaccine then it must wait for 21 days before entering the country. There is no time delay with booster injections; providing there is proof that the booster was administered before the last vaccine had expired.
- Your pet must be micro-chipped.
- Make sure your cage or carrier is labeled with your name and contact information for where you are staying in Italy.
- Once in Italy, an Italian vet can issue an EU Pet Passport if you plan to travel within Europe.