Key West Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Key West Forum on February 17, 2011 5:10 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Key West, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to Key West yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in Key West here.

Not so dog friendly Key West

My partner and I decided to take a road trip to FL, visiting friends and family along the way. We included Key West because my initial research indicated it was a very dog friendly community. We've been here a couple of days at a dog-friendly resort and have since found out that the people here are very dog friendly but that's about it. The restaurants no longer allow you to bring your best friend in for a meal due to an ordinance that was recently passed after a drunk lady tripped over a dog at a restaurant and sued. Thus, while the weather has been fabulous, our visit has been OK and we've had to eat all our take-out meals on our small patio. Our 9-month old rescue puppy is still getting to know us and can't be left alone yet. She's having a fabulous time hanging with us and folicking at the dog park at Higgs Beach. Would we come back to Key West? Definitley. Would be bring her with us? Definitely not, which is a real disappointment for us.

Originally posted by Richard from Hillsborough, NJ, US
February 17, 2011 5:10 a.m.

Replies

Laws in Key West

I know that in Florida they do not permit dogs in restaurants and stores with fabric turn up their nose or say no entry even to people with service dogs (yes I know it is illegal). Most beaches in the state do not allow dogs to even step on them. Pretty undog friendly. I lived in this state for 5 years and this was my experience.

BUT I heard rumor they are voting on over turning the dog law and allowing restaurants to permit dog entry ONLY of the pay for dog insurance. Lord...you have to be SO insured there. Don't get me started on the politic surrounding insurance in Florida. So check on this if you are headed this way. I think a lot os places will decided to pay to have dogs with people in tourist areas. I know a few of my friends with restaurant would for sure.

Posted by heather from Indianapolis, IN, US
June 7, 2012 7:15 p.m.

Key West not for the dogs

My husband and I drove down from Naples for Thanksgiving weekend because i had always heard and read that Key west was very dog friendly. Well, not anymore. Restaurants do not allow dogs at all. The only exception was Hogs Breath saloon and the Schooner Wharf. Otherwise, forget it. And there are so many scooters and bikes flying by, your dog is probably not even safe on a leash. We did stay at a very dog friendly Inn, Courtneys Too on Williams St. Very cute place, great location. Dog was very comfortable here with private balcony. But forget about going out to eat.

Posted by Debra from Naples, FL, US
November 22, 2012 4:06 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.