United States Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the United States Forum on April 24, 2015 10:32 a.m.. If you can help with this question about United States, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to United States yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in United States here.

Car Camping with my Dog - Suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm planning a cross-country trip with my dog this summer. We're going to fashion my car into a sleeper and try to camp at each stop on the trip. No tent, no RV, just a car and my dog. I was planning on leaving my car running with the AC on (knowing it will be hot in summer) and locking the door, bringing an extra set of keys with me if I need to use the bathroom, take a shower, go into a store to get supplies for us, etc.

Anyone have any extra tips regarding car camping, camping solo with a dog, or anything of the sort. The goal here is to see the country and hike at each campground we stay at along the way. My dog LOVES to hike, so do I.

Also, any tips on breed restrictions? He's a pit mix and I've already seen some campsites banning pit bull type dogs....ugh....

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Sarah from Urbana, IL, US
April 24, 2015 10:32 a.m.

Replies

Travel Assistance

Hi!
What a wonderful adventure! Unfortunately, some locations do have breed restrictions. One tip would be to call ahead for every campsite, just to be sure. Also make sure you have a copy of your dog's shot records.
Have a great trip!

Posted by Becca from Greenville, SC, US
April 29, 2015 6:23 a.m.

Suggestion

You might want to have a sign that you can put on the outside of the car (maybe 2 signs - one on each side?) that says that you are coming right back and dog is fine. Maybe also your phone number? That way someone that might see the dog in there might not report you. Sounds like what you're planning is fine, but others might not be aware of your good intentions.

Posted by Pattie from Bowie, MD, US
May 22, 2015 12:22 p.m.

AC

Just consider the fact that the A/C can go out very unexpectedly so don't leave the pooch too long unattended.

Posted by Abbey from Charlotte, NC, US
May 28, 2015 9:53 a.m.

Suggestion

Wow, I was thinking of something like that this summer - but we just adopted 2 new pups, 6 mo old now .. and are learning fast but still pups - so the trip might happen next summer. I have traveled with dogs before - and camped in tents but never in a car. I see no problem with leaving them for short times to get supplies - but I agree a sign would be great. The number however might get you some crank calls....

Posted by Barb from Lees Summit, MO, US
June 3, 2015 1:57 p.m.

Car Camping Suggestion

I car camp a lot with my pit bull and lab. I make sure I stop for supplies after dark as it tends to be cooler in summer months and also because I don't want my windows smashed because I ran in for a pack of gum and a gallon of water and some yahoo thinks they are rescuing my dogs. I've never had a problem and do keep a second set of keys handy in case it is still too hot after dark. I just leave the car running with ac blasting and lock it with the second set of keys. I still make sure I am only gone 10-20 minutes though.

Posted by Christi from marstons mills, MA
July 3, 2015 4:26 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.