Or call (973) 268-3500 for more information.
- YashodaJul. 7, 2022Mills Reservation
Great! I loved that it was mostly shaded for a warm summer day! the views were beautiful! Very clean for dogs!
- ShellyOct. 17, 2020Dog friendly place to hike.
Very nice place to take a fall hike. There were many dogs off leash but all owners were very respectful before allowing their dogs to approach us.
- TiinaJan. 19, 2018Lots of unleashed dogs
This is a great place to take your dog for a walk, however LOTS of unleashed dogs. My dog does not like to be approached by a dog running up to her and the owners of 3 different dogs just let them run up to her (even after I let them know). There are different colored trails. Take a picture of the map with your phone so you can follow one. Great view of the city, couple of steep cliffs so be careful!
- Dog LoverMore than a year agoMills Reservation
I've come walking/hiking here since I was about 15 years old and I'm almost 50 now. This is a quaint little hiking trail it's not huge and doesn't go for many miles or take days. The main circle can be hiked in under an hour if walking briskly on the dirt path. If you take the path at the top of the loop that leads further up a hill you will be rewarded with a view of NYC in the distance. It's more visible in cold weather when the trees are bare. I have many fond memories here, it has been a safe place I've never had any problems here with animals or people. The people I have seen are either friendly saying hello, or keep quietly to themselves, every one has always been respectful regardless of how outwardly friendly they are. I agree with the other reviewer that dogs should be kept on leashes for their own safety and for the safety of the wildlife that can be chased out onto the road by a dog and hit by a car. I have a small dog who doesn't like to be approached by other dogs so it helps if others are respectful and keep control of their dogs. This reservation is surrounded by private homes and no matter where you are in the reservation you are never far from civilization.
- KiraMore than a year agoGreat place
You could come here for a 30 minute brisk walk, or spend hours here. I like the inner trails, to avoid traffic on the main, and it gives my dogs a little more excitement to explore the inside and twisty trails.
A few warnings.
1. Police and off leash dogs: There is a leash law, but most of the dogs are let loose. Very rarely there is an "encounter" with a rowdy dog or rowdy people who don't like the dogs. The police may wait in the parking lot and will ticket off leash dogs. (Personally, I don't like dogs running free in the parking lot anyway.)
2. Deer: There are a lot of deer here and Normal ave is a busy street (with the nearby montclair university crowd) Deer have been hit by cars trying to flee chasing dogs...dogs have been hit by cars also.
The deer bring ticks, so watch for deer ticks in late fall and spring.
3. Black bear: There were 3 harmless sightings of black bear in Mills this spring of 2013.
4. The parking lot isn't plowed when it snows. It can become very icy in the lot and on the trails.