Flying With Dogs Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Flying With Dogs Forum on March 9, 2010 10:36 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Flying With Dogs, please post a reply.

Experience with LOOONG flights?

Hey there, I am planning on moving my small dog from Europe to L.A and I am kinda worried about it...I have it all figured out about how to bring her on board and so forth, but it still adds up to be a long time of no relief...She´d rather burst than pee inside and I may not be able to leave the plane/airport for long hours ( we are probably talking 15++). Does anyone have any experience with long haul flights? How did you guys make it? Any words of comfort? Thank you so much.

Originally posted by Linda from Bratislava, SK
March 9, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Replies

Long flight

Hi, in August I brought my Pomeranian back from Seoul, South Korea to Memphis, TN, USA. My dog made the 11+ hour flight from Seoul to Seattle just fine. I then took him outside as fast as i could to help the little fellow out. In my experience, dogs are troopers, so even during extended flights they should be ok (i.e., no accidents). Just to be precautious, I line my soft-sided cage with t-shirts (that I can easily throw away if he ever has an accident). I also carry with me a few tissues/napkins and plastic bags. I've never had to use them, but our upcoming flight back to Seoul is even longer (16+ hours). Cheers to travel! Goodluck with your pooch.

Posted by Scarlett from Memphis, TN, USA
March 16, 2010 9:10 p.m.

pee pads

Whenever I fly I always take a few pee pads along and take give my dog the open to try and go on them in either the airport or airplan bathroom (a little tight at times I know). So far he has just held it, but he does sniff it a bit and it seems as though he would go on that if his bladder is giving out. So far he has just held it, but I haven't been on REALLY long flights.

Posted by Hoosier from New York City, NY, US
May 17, 2010 12:43 a.m.

Long haul flight- good news:)

Hey guys, just an update...so I took the flight I was so afraid of. My dog was AMAZING. She basically slept all the way, only insisting that she´ll indeed stretch her back ever so often, so I broke the airline regulation a wee bit and opened her soft kennel, just so that she could stick her head and front paws out to stretch. I covered her with the blanket provided:)) There were another 3 dogs on the plane, all of em like 1 or two seats away from me...my Uma was the only non-sedated one, and the quietest one too. All I gave her was Bach´s flower remedy - homeopathic water solution, some first aid/ anti anxiety thing. Either it worked wonders, or I just have a truly exceptional dog:))) Either way, my experience is that my dog behaves exactly the way I feel, so I tried to fix my anxiety first. Guess who had more sips of the remedy.hahaha. Good luck to all the travelers, but it is by far NOT as bad as it seems to be:)

Posted by Linda from Bratislava
June 10, 2010 8:41 p.m.

Pee trick

I always teach my dog new words and phrases. When I let her out to go the bathroom i say "toilette" bathroom in French and she knows what she has to do. Sometimes i repeat toilette until she goes, so now if i can bring her into the woman's room with a peed pad and repeat the word to her until she goes. She really understands.

Posted by Eva from New York, NY, US
May 17, 2011 1:49 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.