Flying With Dogs Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Flying With Dogs Forum on July 23, 2010 1:07 p.m.. If you can help with this question about Flying With Dogs, please post a reply.

PLEASE HELP! My dog has a cold-Will the changes of altitude hurt her?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time flying with my dog, Gracie. She has been sounding a little congested when she breathes...for the past week or so, but otherwise seems fine. My question is this...will the changes of altitude and cabin pressure affect her negatively? Also, is there anything, over-the-couter, or otherwise, that I can give her, before the flight, that will take her through the process without any discomfort? And, finally...she is a bit on the nervous side, which I attribute to her being taken back to the shelter, by her previous owner, and telling them that she is too much trouble, and they have no time for her. She has abandonment issues as well, of course. Is there anything that I can and should give her to calm her down before the flight? Any information that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, in advance, for your help. Have a wonderful day...and week-end!!
Thanks!
Darlene Bullins

Originally posted by Darlene from Somerset, NJ, US
July 23, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Replies

My Advice

I would suggest you take your dog to the vet. Most airlines require you to have a cert. of good health for your dog or cat to fly. I fly with Bailey about twice a year. Only once did the change in pressure seem to effect her. Think of it this way...if you have a cold the pressure would effect you. I would assume the same for your dog.

Posted by Baileys Dad from Los Angeles, CA, US
July 23, 2010 2:49 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.