Flying With Dogs Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Flying With Dogs Forum on October 23, 2010 7:34 p.m.. If you can help with this question about Flying With Dogs, please post a reply.

Pet Needs Surgery in CA, & then Return to HI

I live in Hawaii and my dog has a medical condition. Surgery is an option, but unfortunately the nearest qualified vet is located in California. Flying in-cabin out of Hawaii would not be such a problem, but it seems impossible to find an airline that will allow him to fly in-cabin back to Hawaii.

Do you know of any airlines that will make an exception to its no in-cabin to Hawaii pet rule if documents indicating a medical situation are furnished?

If not, is there any pet service out there that can fly my dog back home to Hawaii and give him the extra care he would need coming home from surgery? I know there are pet flying services, but as of yet I haven't found any that fly to Hawaii. I dread the idea of having him fly alone since he's a very nervous little dog by nature, but if I have no other choice...

In the meantime, I will also be looking at this site again to find out which airline flies to Hawaii and has the best service/conditions for animals flying in cargo as a very last resort...

Originally posted by Vicky from Honolulu, HI, US
October 23, 2010 7:34 p.m.

Replies

Flying to Hawaii

I have been looking into the same issue with bringing my chihuahua in the cabin. Since State of Hawaii doesn't care where in the plane the dog travels, it seems to be the airline who has to accommodate you. I saw a bird recently transported in a cage in the cabin out of LAX on Delta. Someone else saw a yorkie out of Portland in first class on a Hawaiian Airlines flight. I have a friend who works for Delta looking into it and will post any info I get. Please keep us posted as well

Posted by Claire from Laguna Beach, CA, US
October 23, 2010 8:34 p.m.

Flying to HI with cats

I too am looking for a way to bring my two cats in the cabin from DC to HI when we move out there. I don't want them in the hold and I am getting more upset as I fail to find an option other than the hold. I would gladly pay the rediculous 1st class price if it would mean they would be with me. Any suggestions? Did either of you find an answer?
Thanks so much!!

Posted by Nicole from Ashburn, VA, US
April 30, 2011 2:02 p.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.