Who’s ready for a road trip with Fido? Fortunately, most major car rental companies welcome four-legged passengers to ride along. While there is no additional fee for pets, many agencies charge a cleaning fee for excessive dirt or debris. To avoid this, bring a blanket or seat cover to keep your pet’s shedding contained. Customers are also advised to call ahead to confirm a vehicle, as rules can vary depending on location. Here's the scoop on pet-friendly car rental companies around the world.
Founded in 1918, Hertz was one of the first rental car companies in America. Today, it's one of the most recognizable agencies in the world. Dogs are welcome to travel in Hertz vehicles as long as the cars are returned in a clean condition.
Alamo Car Rentals
Alamo Car Rentals has offices across the United States and around the world. At all locations, Alamo welcomes your pooch along for the ride as long as he is safely crated. The car must be returned in clean condition and free of pet hair. Service animals are allowed in vehicles without a carrier.
In 1946, Avis became the first car rental service to operate from an airport. Today, Avis locations across all 50 states and Canada welcome dogs to join their owners. Customers need to return their rental cars in clean condition and free of pet hair and smells to avoid a cleaning fee of up to $250.
Established in 1957 and named for the World War II aircraft carrier that founder Jack Taylor served on, Enterprise has steadily become one of the largest vehicle rental companies in the world. The company offers trucks, cars, and exotic cars in all 50 states and across 8,000 locations worldwide. Dogs are invited to join you on the adventure, as long as they are crated. Cars should be returned free of pet hair to avoid cleaning fees.
Dollar Car Rental
From big cities to towns off the beaten track, Dollar Car Rental has more than 800 locations across the U.S. and Canada. Dollar offers pet-friendly rental cars with no up-front fee or advanced notice needed. There may be an extra fee if the vehicle is not returned in clean condition, including excessive pet hair, damage, or accidents. Keep your pooch in a crate or use a blanket on the backseat to avoid charges up to $250.
Budget Rent a Car
Budget Rent a Car was founded in 1958 to offer a cheaper alternative for cash-strapped travelers. The strategy worked, as you’ll now find them in every state and across the globe. Housebroken pets are invited to travel in a Budget car with you. There’s no pet fee, but you are responsible for keeping your rental vehicle clean of shedding and accidents to avoid a charge for cleaning.
Travelers are never too far from a Thrifty rental. This popular agency welcomes pets, but vehicles returned with excessive pet hair, soiling, or damage may result in a cleaning fee that can range from $50-$250. Thrifty advises renters to secure pets in a carrier or booster seat.
National Car Rental
National Car Rental has been offering the people of America affordable car rental options since 1947. The company has expanded to more than 1,500 locations around the world. Dogs are permitted to backseat drive as long as they are kept in a crate and cars are returned free of hair.
Starting life with just three cars in Germany in 1912, SIXT has grown to become one of the biggest rental companies in the world. Dogs are welcome in SIXT vehicles, and select locations offer pet car rentals that are more spacious than others, such as a minivan or SUV. Their experts suggest bringing along toys to relax pets during the journey, and encourage renters to keep pups restrained while traveling.
Other Pet-Friendly Car Rental Agencies
- Advantage welcomes dogs on board. Return your rental vehicle clean and without pet damage to avoid fees.
- Ace Rent a Car accepts dogs in rentals, but the driver will be charged for any damage to the vehicle, including excessive pet hair.
- Bandago Van Rental allows dogs to travel in their Chevy Express rentals. When you’re reserving it, ask for one or two rows to be removed to allow space for dogs to sprawl.
- Cruise America welcomes dogs to travel in Class C motorhomes. Don’t forget your seat cover on this journey, as cleaning fees can be as high as $250 for stray fur found in vehicles.
- Fox Rent A Car permits dogs in vehicles, but a cleaning fee is added for pet hair.
- Getaround is an online car sharing service that welcomes dogs in cars with the green pet-friendly icon. Dogs in cars without the sign will be charged a $100 cleaning fee.
- Payless is an affordable rental company owned by Avis. Payless accepts dogs as long as cars are returned free of pet hair and smells to avoid a cleaning fee of up to $250.
- Silvercar is for the “city licking” canine who only drives in style. The fleet is made up solely of Audis, but pets must remain in an airline-approved carrier throughout.
- U-Haul offers trucks, trailers and storage for rent. Dogs are welcome to ride shotgun, but they are not permitted in the back of rental trucks.
Is this your pandemic pup’s first road trip? Read our tips on how to train a new puppy for summer travel.